Monday, November 7, 2011

All-Electric Josef Kun Residence #1
Architect: Richard Neutra ~ Collaborator: Gregory Ain ~ Built: 1935-1936

This is a fine example of Neutra's work and filled with "firsts.".

It is Neutra's first all-electric residence--and one of the early all-electric houses in
the City of Los Angeles.

The residence is the first one to be photographed by Julius Shulman:

I went along with this young man to one of Neutra’s houses (the Kun house, 1936) that he was working on and took a few snapshots. I didn’t know that what I was photographing was a “Neutra House.” I gave this fellow the photos which he showed to Neutra who loved them and wanted to meet me, which we did on March fifth, 1936. The date is indelibly imprinted in my mind. Neutra ordered more pictures and had me meet Soriano, who was doing his first house. I became a photographer that day. I had never met an architect before in my life, let alone Neutra of all people.
                                                                                                                 ---Julius Shulman


Neutra won two awards for Kun House #1.

The first was from the journal Architectural Forum in April 1936. It was a national award for one of 52 architect-designed homes costing $5000 or less.

The second one was from the French government. This time the work was identified as the Gertrude Kun (Josef's wife) residence in Hollywood. A bronze medal in the residential architecture division of the photographic exhibition was awarded to Neutra for photographs in the United States Pavilion at the Paris International Exposition of 1937.



This Neutra residence became a Historic-Cultural Monument in the City of Los Angeles on
November 15, 2011.





No comments:

Post a Comment